Time for a rebrand?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fuserleer, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

Now that we are nearing a V1.0 I've been thinking a lot recently about the name eMunie and have come to the conclusion that it probably needs to change. It was always in the back of my mind that the naming of the project might have to be revisited at some point in the future and that time has come.

That aside the eMunie name has served its purpose well, I wanted a name for the project that people would remember and would communicate exactly what it was we were doing at the time. It certainly achieved that, as people either love it, or totally hate it, but always remember it. It's pretty obvious what the eMunie project is for the most part (almost!).

However, the reasons why I feel a re-brand is needed are not very obvious, and the past opinions of "love it/hate it" don't even come into the equation.

The first and most critical reason I have is more of a tactical/strategic nature. Thanks to the various events and the even cynical, spin doctory media, Bitcoin and crypto in general still have a lot of stigma associated with them by the general public. This is a bit of a problem for us as our target market is that entire demographic and overcoming that stigma if directly associated with Bitcoin would likely be hard!

The idea then is to split the project into multiple brands, one for the tech/platform itself and one for the consumer product that will follow.

This way we can promote the technology itself as a "platform" in the necessary places such as crypto forums, and when the time comes to push out to market there is no direct association with crypto, Bitcoin et all to cause us immediate problems.

Similarly, splitting the brand in two enables each component to be more focused and targeted accordingly. Approaching an insurance company for example and asking them to build their service on our cute and playful sounding consumer product brand doesn't carry the same weight as asking them to develop on a powerful sounding tech branding.

Having both means we can target both private and public usage accordingly with the appropriate message, which means a greater chance of pulling off the long term vision.

For the record I've decided on a name already for the platform brand: Radix

Radix has a number of powerful connotations; translates to "root" in Latin, forms the base of number systems themselves, and more.

Secondly, the eMunie project evolved past it's original scope quite rapidly and even though that scope has been nailed down now for over 2 years, the name eMunie is not strong enough to carry what it is we have.

The name ring-fences the platform so that upon first impression it appears just to offer transactional processing, yet we know that there is much more far reaching potential that the platform as a whole can offer.

From a consumer standpoint this really isn't an issue, consumer brands regularly have little direct communication about what it is they represent, but from a technological perspective when we are promoting the use of the platform in private industry and additional verticals, a more powerful name is required to communicate the platforms potential.

The third and final reason is to do with pronunciation and is more an error on my part than anything else.

I chose "eMunie" as a quirky spelling due to the owner of emoney.com at the time wanting $30k to part with it. I couldn't justify spending that amount of funds on a domain name so early on in the project and simply decided to purchase it later should the project gain some traction.

Being from the north of England, many accents and dialects pronounce the 'u' in various words as "uh" as opposed to "you", and I assumed that it would be obvious that the 'u' in eMunie should be pronounced 'uh' ensuring that it sounded vocally VERY close to eMoney.

However recently during my trips to London in the past 6 months, it has been highlighted how very wrong I was making that assumption. Witnessing people trying to pronounce it for the first time when presented with a business card is nothing short of both entertaining and cringe worthy.

Most people default to pronouncing the 'u' as 'you' so it tends to come out as a sequence of forced attempts and generally goes something like

"eeeemmm...." *breath* "eeeeeeemmmmmyoooouneeeeee???" all whilst pulling a silly face and looking confused....not good! :)

----

So...I'm pretty much set on the tech focused brand of Radix unless anyone can persuade me otherwise. The consumer brand however is still much up for debate, which is not quite as urgent and we have 3+ months before we really need to nail it down.

Seeing as I've made the decision on the tech brand, I thought it would be a good idea to get thoughts on a possible consumer brand from the community. I know many of you hate/hated the name eMunie, so now is your chance to have your say and propose a good alternative!

Remember though, that this is for consumers that do not know about, nor care about crypto, decentralization and all that stuff. All they really care about are the following:

How do I benefit?
    Is it reliable?
    Is it easy to use?
    I also think everyone will agree that anyone that proposes a name with either "cash" or "coin" in it should banned for a week!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Gedke

Gedke Beta Testers

Radix sounds very good, do you have the domain name already?

3. danisapfirov

danisapfirov Beta Testers

Am I banned for Cash ? Lol

4. Fuserleer

5. Fuserleer

Haha that was in the TB, what happens in the TB stays in the TB :p

6. zombie

zombie Beta Testers

Cashcoinmunie - to the moon :) .
    It needs to be short and catchy and not nerdy (no offense :) )
    Whatsapp probably sounded like a silly name when it launched

7. rotane

rotane Founders

Dan, Radix is a good one! Congrats.

For the Business part I suggest some meme that connotates the idea of growth that is Hidden in Radix.

Dandelion

Is it easy? Dandelion is easy like childplay.
    Is it Safe? No harm from Dandelion to expect.
    What more? It spawns!

Notabene: the coin token could be Named Dan :)

Cheers

8. trescuernos

trescuernos Beta Testers

Nourix (from nourishment and sounds near of Radix)...
    seems like Asterix & Obelix partners... :D

9. jameshenry15

jameshenry15 Beta Testers

Radix sounds fine for the platform name -- not very exciting or sparkly but does the job. Though I'd suggest replacing it if anyone suggests something more memorable.

While I think the technology is the really important thing about eMunie, I agree that we could probably find a better name for the consumer product. I'll give it some thought!

10. Gedke

Gedke Beta Testers

jonas452, Lloyd, danisapfirov and 4 others like this.
  11. jameshenry15

I'd have a strong preference for a simple noun. I think WAVES has a great name. It's simple, memorable, stylish. And a great benefit being that it can be used both for the consumer product and the company. I like Ripple for the same reason. (By the way, I'm not sure it is necessary at all to use a different name for the product and company. It may have been advisable if the name were "eMunie", but with a new name I don't see why it would have to be. Facebook, Google, etc. have no reason for two names.)

I would have suggested simply "Ledger" but it looks like there is already a crypto platform with this name.

In no particular order, I would suggest:

Payit
    Payrole
    Payscape
    Transact
    Shuffler
    Ecredits
    Pocketpay
    Pocketbook
    Current
    Spender

Maybe these are no good, but all the same I'll let you know if I have any more brainwaves...

12. yabit

yabit Beta Testers

Oh no, not Radix please. Means in German: horoscope of birth! An astrological term.

13. Anima

Anima Founders Staff Member

Think of it as what Alphabet Inc is to Google, CapitalG etc. Its in a sense the same thing we want with the rebranding - seperate the segments and have a more focused approach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Inc.

14. xela

xela Beta Testers

Radix for the platform is okay, sounds a bit too technical imo.
    The consumer brand should be directly related to the platform brand and i would put in some more emotions.

So one may pick an emotional word (the world has languages with beautiful sounding) for the platform brand, like:

duende
    advanced
    destin
    ventura
    infinit
    etern
    eterno
    integra

Separate the consumer brand with a "." or ":" with "advanced" as an example leads to something like

advanced:insurance
    advanced:sales
    advanced:contracts

We have always a direct relation and mentioning of our platform (f.ex."advanced") and the product brand.

Client name could be advanced:you and so on

Just my thinking...

15. Ryan.a85

Ryan.a85 Founders Staff Member

More information on how the consumer product and the tech will be presented and relate to each other would be very helpful to get some perspective.

I don't think the consumer name has to be cute and playful at all, looking at the mess currently being made by the status quo it's easy to find a lot of resentment against it. A name that subtly plays with that will be most welcome.
    Evolt (or maybe eVolt), one of Dan's suggestions, does just that and fits well with EVEI (and the theme for a certain inspirational movie ;) )

Another idea is something that sounds related to liberty/freedom, given that is another important goal of this project, we had some suggestions on founders chat but it'll be nice see what else will come up around here.
    Also agree with jameshenry15 on keeping it simple.

One important option to be considered is professional assistance, there are great companies specialized on branding/naming. Just give as much information as possible about the goals of the project and they come up with a few options to choose from. Worth the cost IMHO.

16. lou

lou Beta Testers

I doubt many Germans are aware of that meaning... at least I wasn't until I read your post.

IMO it's a good choice for the platform name.

17. danisapfirov

danisapfirov Beta Testers

Dandito :)
    and the currency can be Dandi

It would be funny!

18. Gedke

Gedke Beta Testers

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  19. Mario

Mario Beta Testers

Should work in china too, btw.

20. jameshenry15

A few more:

Tender (although it might sound too much like a dating app for meat-lovers)
    Chex
    Imburse
    Coiner (hope this doesn't get me banned...)