Scaling attempts..

Discussion in 'General' started by Rad-voyage, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Rad-voyage

Rad-voyage Member

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...for-larger-bitcoin-block-sizes-300527402.html

nChain attempt. BUt still with blockchain...

Also

IOTA

EOS

Skycoin

MaidSafe

These three have moved away from the blockchain..

Can blockchain scale?

Not sure if EOS is blockchain or not

Can Maidsafe, IOTA, Skycoin, EOS, Radix scale to true visa or public markets levels.

Or facebook levels, with likes, thumbs up, comments, posts, video, pictures etc etc

Can someone summarize the methods Maidsafe, IOTA, Skycoin, EOS, Radix use to scale.

Bitcoin Unlimited is sticking to Blockchain and going huge sizes to achieve it.

2. Peachy

Peachy Founders Staff Member

I'll be blunt and state that they are all partial attempts to solve the challenge. None of them have the complete solution required to achieve mass adoption. By mass adoption I mean beyond the estimated 20M of us involved in crypto that has grown at a snails pace over the past few years.

You can read up on each one of them to see the technology/consensus method they employ (vs. Radix-Tempo), but this is only half of the puzzle. The other half is the adoption and marketing strategy of which none of them have thought it out completely to the level that Dan has (and has years of experience and contacts within the industry to achieve).

And as for their partial attempts, they haven't really solved that challenge like we have:

As Buterin explained:
    “Bitcoin is currently processing a bit less than three transactions per second and if it goes close to four, it is already at peak capacity. Ethereum has been doing five per second and if it goes above six, then it is also at peak capacity. On the other hand, Uber on average does 12 rides per second, PayPal several hundred, Visa several thousand, major stock exchanges tens of thousands, and in IoT, you’re talking hundreds of thousands per second.”

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    man_44 likes this.
  3. Ryan.a85

Ryan.a85 Founders Staff Member

The only project on that list that I respect and admire (besides Radix ofc) is MaidSafe.

The consensus mechanism there has nothing to do with blockchains or DAG.
    https://blog.maidsafe.net/2016/06/23/introduction-technical-overview-of-safe-consensus/
    I'm very inclined to think that Radix consensus is more elegant, efficient and secure. But that's a discussion for better minds as it goes beyond my understanding.

Besides that, as far as I know Maid has a strong focus on bringing the average user to the platform. Something you don't really see very often in the crypto space.

trescuernos and Lloyd like this.
  4. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

I'll chime in as I like to think I'm the authority on this stuff after 5 years hehe

Blockchain
    Sorry, can't scale, end of story! One of the first things I tried was how large can blocks be before it starts to block thrash. That happens at 500mb block sizes (700 tps). 5 years on it might be a little better, but a pedigree blockchain is always going to hit a limit as it's a vertical architecture and all nodes need all blocks.

You can make it faster with master nodes, but then you are on the slippery slope to centralisation.

EOS
    This one is a bit of snake oil salesmanship, mixed in with valid tech to make it seem better than it is...which is always the case when Larimer is involved.

EOS is basically a Bitshares copy right now. The whitepaper is a joke and doesn't explain anything in detail.

The best I've been able to understand by reading between the lines is that each app is basically it's own blockchain, which can communicate with other chains in the system.

This seems great until you realize that the tech it is built on has only ever provably processed around 3000 tps...once, despite the Larimers claiming that it's done 100,000+ in their tests.

I'll be amazed if EOS proves to anything more than failed promises.

IOTA
    Scales in theory not in practice.

A DAG is a horizontal architecture, which means you can chop it up into smaller chunks, great.

The issue is that it needs a consensus algorithm that is also horizontal if it's deployed in a public environment, otherwise double spends become a problem. POW isn't such a consensus algorithm.

As it currently stands a Iota can only guard against double spends if all nodes have all transactions.....back to where we started.

I don't know enough about Maids or Skycoins architectures to comment...so I won't make any assumptions.

Hope that helps.

5. Crypto Kid

Crypto Kid New Member

In response to the OP, I am not so sure about Maidsafe but EOS and Skycoin both use Blockchain.

Finally! Someone who can see that IOTA is fundamentally flawed! I am sure that Microsoft (who they just closed a deal with) must know this as well so I am not too sure what the play there is. Also, IOTA wants to be able to do stuff such as IoT (requires 100,000's tps but can only do 1200 tps at max.) LOL. Those who invest in IOTA long-term are going to get burned.... badly.

Skycoin uses a distributed network that relays info across nodes that "subscribe" to each other. It's really cool. You should definitely check it out Fusaleer.