Radix Nodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rickard, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer The Dutch connection Staff Member

Last I heard is that the base transaction fee is ~0.01$ equivalent. Just enough to be a barrier against spam, not enough to be a barrier for actual transactions. The fee will be higher for non-standard transactions (for example with an attachment or an escrow transaction) as that means more load on the network.

2. Pakete

Pakete New Member

How come the fees will be so low? Can't the nodes decide the fee, like with Bitcoin?

3. Jazzer

With bitcoin the nodes don't decide the fee, it's the users. The nodes actually just pick the transactions with the highest fees first. So when the network is at capacity you as a user will be competing with other users to be included in a block. When the load gets high, the minimum fee to pay for fast block inclusion is driven up by those other users including a higher fee for a better chance of seeing their transaction accepted.

With Radix, we don't have such a mechanism since we don't have a maximum capacity and assume that more load will automatically attract more nodes due to the additional income that will be generated.

Nodes can still choose not to process a transaction I'd they think the fee is too low, but the $0.01 is our estimate of fees that should easily cover operating cost so should be accepted by the network when nodes are acting rationally.

There's no reason for it to be higher if it already covered operating costs. And there's no reason for it to be lower of we want to maintain a small barrier against spam.

4. Catatonic

Catatonic New Member

Would anyone be willing to point me in the direction of some information regarding the specs necessary for a desktop to run a node? Looking to accumulate parts soon. When do we foresee the network going live, roughly?

Really, any information about setting up a node and participating is what I'm chasing, but more the specs/tech side of things.

Radix is a project I've been following since getting into crypto, and I truly believe it could solve many of the issues preventing widespread adoption. Therefore, I really would love to participate in and support the network. But I'm not a computer guy. I have excellent and unlimited internet where I am, but little further knowledge.

5. Jazzer

This is not out yet. We expect that any decent computer will be fine for this. You may want to invest in some good SSD drives. Redundancy is never a bad idea for a server so look at multiple disks. Other than that get an internet subscription with good bandwidth and low latency.

As we get closer to release it should become more clear what will be important requirements for nodes. Since we're looking at Q2 2018, and hardware prices only ever go down, I would suggest to wait a bit longer if that's an option.

6. Catatonic

Catatonic New Member

Great, thanks. I'll keep my ear to the ground and accumulate a bit during sales but otherwise leave it until ~Q2.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Founders Staff Member

If you read the first couple of pages you will see what other beta testers are using for a node setup. I will also say that Radix is a multi-threaded application.

8. mehdiRdx

mehdiRdx New Member

Is it here I have to ask to run a node or in beta tester?

9. Peachy

Peachy Founders Staff Member

Nope. Stay tuned for details when we have an Open Beta running and you'll get notified.

You can also add your email address to the mailer to be updated as well.
    https://www.radix.global/

10. Rickard

Rickard Beta Testers

11. Jazzer

There will be as and when we near release and the final version of the client is done.

It will be something like:
    1. Start client.
    2. Configure which services you want to support.
    3. Done.

12. pbt

pbt New Member

Anyone know if Radix client supports multi threading? I'm undecided between i7-7700 or Rayzen 7 1700. I was thinking of the Rayzen 7 due to the superior no of cores and threads but if Radix doesn't support multi threading then the i7 would be the best option? Is there a way to benchmark how much work(atom) a node can achieve?

13. Rickard

Rickard Beta Testers

Yes it supports multi-threading

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Founders Staff Member

There are many things that affect the amount of work done. The number of logical threads being only one, another is the up/down speed of the internet connection. In the past disk I/O speed was an issue, but Dan seems to have over come that also, but to what level is yet to be determined. As the explorer.radix.global demonstrates sub-second transaction speeds are on a plater drive.

15. aarish tinwala

aarish tinwala New Member

Hello Guys .
    Pretty much a newbie here. but i want to be a part of this project . is there a way i can understand more info about this project in lehman terms ? i have resources which i would want to contribute for this project . if anyone can help me that would amazing