Radix Nodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rickard, Jun 25, 2017.

1. pbt

pbt New Member

What's the recommended amount of upload and download bandwidth per node?

2. tesslerc

tesslerc Beta Testers

Anima & Lloyd, that is true given we can discover these nodes automatically.
    The question is how the initial node discovery works, if we have N hard-coded nodes, they can have a strong impact on the network (if they go rogue), no?

3. Anima

Anima Founders Staff Member

If they go rogue? - there is already a list of nodes that are "hard coded", which the client makes the first connections to. They are trusted and will not go rogue. Some, if not most, will be our own nodes. And what if they were rogue? - what do you fear would happen?

After all, we are just talking gateway nodes in the sense they will send a larger list of nodes to connect to.

4. papicucu

papicucu Beta Testers

Is there a special modem setup for running a node?

5. tadkis

tadkis Beta Testers

in last test we needed to open some ports, but perhaps in a new version nothing special will be needed

6. papicucu

papicucu Beta Testers

Thanx Tadkis

7. tesslerc

tesslerc Beta Testers

Maybe because we trust these hard coded nodes will behave well then there isn't an issue.
    But would still be interesting if it was possible to keep a non-centralized auto updating "ledger" of sorts that contains the list of currently active nodes / N nodes with the most connections to them.

8. lou

lou Beta Testers

You always need a trustworthy entry point into the network. A set of hard-coded seeds will make it easy to get into the network, but for long-term security it must be possible to add more seeds to the configuration. The community can then maintain independent lists of seed nodes, and users can choose which they use.

Jazzer likes this.
  9. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

Yeah this is something I need to work on and come up with a good solution.

As I haven't spent any real effort on it yet, I'm open to suggestions that might save me some time.

10. lou

lou Beta Testers

Have the client generate a list of the nodes (IP+port) it knows about. Then anyone can take the list and publish it as they like, for example via DNS.

11. trescuernos

trescuernos Beta Testers

My 2 cents, one crazy idea.... Could be a paid service? the only one... If you want to run a gateway node then you have to pay a specific fee for enroll it on the gateway list.... like the ENS system.
    Could be a little headache for dynamic ips.

12. rotane

rotane Founders

Like it

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Founders Staff Member

let take this ENS --> gateway thought a bit further, most everyone who actually purchases a primary say less than 10 characters will be someone who is serious about supporting the network... so why not use that list as a starting short list... just putting down some thoughts.

14. thecuriousgypo

thecuriousgypo New Member

These are some of my favorite things Dan has said:
    "Whales will not win in Radix"
    "Wow internet. Much fast." (lol)
    No miners.

I'm sold. If you won't accept my pizza, maybe I can participate eventually with a node? Run some services, earn it the old fashioned way?
    not as fast as somebody's (50mbps up and down - mostly), but in Asia.

15. rotane

rotane Founders

Asia? That is cool. I think our community has a little lack of Asian support so far. Welcome :)

16. thecuriousgypo

thecuriousgypo New Member

Support has arrived. Ready when needed.

17. HjalmarBromwich

HjalmarBromwich New Member

Any info on this? I currently have 10 Mbit/s down and 0.8 Mbit/s up. I'm getting fibre next year, but I could speed up the delivery and get it this fall if I pay ~600 USD. Worth it?

18. Anima

Anima Founders Staff Member

Down the line, the more the merrier. Realistically, we are gonna see a ramp up period where there are more nodes on the network than there is activity to saturate the network. IMO, no worth it.

19. HjalmarBromwich

HjalmarBromwich New Member

Alright, thanks!

20. gss

gss New Member

what are the fees for transaction? free or percentage or fixed or exponential increase when at capacity?