Hi, I'm Dan

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Fuserleer, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

BitCoin is an oddity that much is for certain, genius in its innovation in a world where control and surveilence is rife, and it simply ignores those facts, or even requirements of today's world and goes about it's business anyway, that's odd by any measure.

The most odd thing about it all though, is Satoshi. No one knows anything about him, or heard from him in 2 years. He created a beast, something that has grown to be worth $1BILLION + in very little time, and abandoned it, never to be seen again..."I'm working on other things" were his last words...for the love of god WHY?!?

This oddity was the main reason I never really got into BitCoin, I didn't trust it, I didn't trust Satoshi whoever he is, and I always got the feeling that just around the corner, something was going to crash and it was all a long term prank of his, some renegade retribution towards the world that had done him wrong.

If I think like that, others do too, and it will be a major sticking point for BTC now and in the future I believe, people like to know who is behind something, their experience, history, credentials and resolve, especially where money is concerned, and no one in the BTC world knows.

To that end, I decide that I would make sure, that the above details about me, are well and truly known. I have nothing to hide, any embarrassing mistakes I have made were in the name of pursuing success and taught me lessons that have served me well in the years past.

That said, I will keep any minor details that would lead to my home address or other sensitive data secret, being open and honest shouldn't mean I have to divulge data such as that and get ransomed at some point in the future when eMunie is a success (to which end I hope you would all pitch in some EMU and save me from my captors :D )

(I may split this into a few posts, as it will be long!)

So where to start, lets go back, right to the beginning, Spectrums, Commodores and Amstrads, some of you are probably to young to even have touched one, others will be cooing in nostalgic bliss.

I was always fascinated by computers, wizardry in a box from a very young age, my father was a fanatic about them too, I remember staying up late with him typing in programs from a magazine, only for there to be a misprint and the whole thing didn't work. It was fun though, and set me on my path.

Fast forward 10 years, just about to leave High School, I'd coded by this point all manner of demos and little games on my trusty Amiga 500. Everyone else was busy getting into collages and planning their careers, some didn't even know what they wanted to do, I knew, GAMES!

At this point the Amiga was dying, and I needed a PC. I hated PC's back then, they had nothing on the Amiga, but, Commodore had dropped the ball, and the exodus was happening. I took a bunch of awful jobs and saved up enough to get myself a DX2-66 PC.

Over the next 6 months I learned the PC inside and out, got accustomed to x86 assembler instead of 68k, and taught myself C. Id only ever used asm before and left basic at the way side years previous. It was cool to be able to make Hello world's in a few seconds again and still have the performance there in this C language :)

At that point I got hardcore, crunched away on some 3D PC game demos, landscapes, high poly count software renders, raytracers and all kinds of stuff, graphics coding was my "thang" and I was pretty good at it.

In the mean time I contacted a bunch of software development houses and got interviews. After 6 months of hounding them, I was finally taken on by Mirage...some of you old dudes might know them, Rise of the Robots fame :)

I didn't really do much at Mirage, the company was shaky and had no real direction, but it was my foot in the door and within 3 months I was head hunted by another game dev company called Software Creations, that developed a lot of EA titles on PS1, N64 and PC's.

I stayed at Creations for around 3 years, I was quite happy, although a little envious of the bosses making stacks of cash, that said, they treated me very well, and I was on a damn good salary for someone of my age at the time. I worked on all manner of titles there, Gameboy, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, various titles including a bunch of Fifa and Hockey stuff....names on AAA titles count, but I was about to exit the console and PC games industry....

TBC

SLZY, CryptoMomma, a4zg and 3 others like this.
  2. Fuserleer

Mobile phones back then were bricks, some didn't even have text messaging, but I decided I needed one to be a cool kid on the block, so I bought myself a Nokia 3310...there was games on it!!

Ok it was snake, but that gave me an idea and a vision of the future, I saw game on mobile phones, simple, time passing game for use while on the bus, or waiting for a train.

I learned all about phones, and the language that they had adopted, J2ME, got as connected as I could in the very small mobile game industry, then left Software Creations.

To get my bearings and test the water I created a few small mobile games and sold them to an already established mobile game company (this is where I start to leave some details out, as someone smart could get addresses and things). They were pretty successful so I decided to either start my own, or partner with another young mobile game dev company.

The latter was chosen, I made some connections with the owner of a small German company, 4 man strong, but with good games due in the future. They needed someone very technical and that could help to push the company forward, so I joined up.

The next 4 years were a whirlwind, we worked on everything, licensed celebrity games and at it's peak I was managing the 80 strong dev team, coordinating various releases and coding some of the titles myself. That company grew to be one of the largest independent mobile game development companies at the time, and I made a good amount of money out of it.

Unfortunately the big boys were starting to take notice, EA, Eidos and all those other players also saw the potential of mobile games. We decided to sell out at the peak, and we timed it right, about a year later that company was not even on the radar anymore, which was quite sad.

At this point I had kind of had my fill of games, despite the "coolness" surrounding it, unless you are very lucky, there isn't a lot of money to be made. Development costs were shooting up and I really didn't want to go back to a 9-5 coding job. I wanted to be part of something great, something influential, to be a part of something bigger and have a controlling say, and games were never going to get me that....

TBC

SLZY, CryptoMomma, a4zg and 3 others like this.
  3. Fuserleer

After departing from mobile games, I spent a few months kicking back and chilling out, the previous was a hard slog, and I wanted some time to recharge and decide what it was I wanted to get into next, I was pretty sure it would be mobile related, but I wasn't sure what.

Soon enough I was talking to a guy that had a little startup, again in Germany, that needed some funding and a heavy tech head to push some new tech they had been looking into. I was of course quite interested and went over to have a look what they had got.

They had pulled what I call a "Bill Gates", that is, approached a large corporation, and told them they had something they needed, when they of course didn't, so as to get a foot in the door. It's risky, and doing it without the right person or people to actually produce what it is you apparently have, is even more-so.

That said I was very interested in the tech, which was NFC, and the capabilities of what could be done with it, and the idea's floating around my head was more than enough to convince me that this was the ticket.

NFC for those not in the know, is now used for contactless payments, and general data transmission over short distances. If you have a Barclaycard, or one of the various latest Visa cards, then there is NFC in there, UK passports have NFC on the back page that holds your details, and various other applications have now popped up.

NFC then was very immature, it had not long been cut to silicon by NXP (Philips semiconductors), there was no real development boards, no drivers, hardly any hardware at all, but it was fun to get all this stuff plugged together and we still didn't really know what on earth we were going to do with it.

We had a few meetings with Samsung, and they agreed to put an NFC chip in their X700 candy bar phone at the time, I think there was only 50 or so of these phones made, and we got 5 :) Then the flood gates of development opened and we started to make cool stuff.

First we created a NFC based entry system, where an SMS was sent to the phone, that SMS contained some encrypted data and was held in the NFC chip. That phone was then held over a reader on a turnstile, and if valid, the turnstile would let you through. It was pretty neat.

We expanded that to a visual reader to allow QRCode tickets too, and did a load of trials with O2 throughout Europe at their concerts they put on for their subscribers.

Tickets weren't enough though, money was where it was at, so myself and a few of the other guys in the team sat for weeks on end and planned out a mobile payments system using NFC that could easily integrate to the banks and merchants.

We developed this over a few months and eventually we managed to catch the attention of Atos Origin. Atos handle the payments infrastructure for pretty much every bank in Europe, and they were very keen to see and use what we had.

At this point a few other manufacturers had announced some support for NFC in their devices, mainly Nokia and Motorola, whom we worked closely with to help them implement it, also some stateside action with Qualcomm and Kyocera...all very good stuff.

The banks however, had different idea's, despite all the security that we had put into the system, they didn't trust it, the cost to integrate with them was immense (easy != cheap), and so would be the cost of getting mass merchants on board. The timeline to do all of that, on the limited budget, while large for most projects, would mean we would run out of puff way too soon.

Eventually a decision was made to sell off the technology to various vendors and instead we would all profit and would become consultants to companies that had either purchased direct from us, or were now sub-licensing from the companies we sold to.

It was a little sad not to be able to see that through until the end, but it was the wisest move. It's taken a long time from then for NFC to start appearing on credit cards and have payments possible by the technology, so the choice to sell out was a wise one, we wouldn't of lasted this long.

That said, I believe that many factors and/or design philosophies that me and the original team proposed are still in use within these systems today, which kind of makes me proud.

filchef, SLZY, a4zg and 3 others like this.
  4. Fuserleer

reserved

Alfred Duler likes this.
  5. Fuserleer

reserved

6. mebezac

mebezac Crypto-Enthusiast

Great to have a dev who is upfront and honest about what's going on. Interested in hearing the rest :)

7. Visin

Visin eMunie Web Developer Staff Member

Hey Fuserleer, good idea and always a great story to hear. I know the rest of the story I think haha. Anyways, I am going to make a dedicated sub forum for "All About Me", it will be a spot for each user to create a thread that they can explain who they are and get to know each other better. So I will move this thread once its created.

8. mebezac

Good idea :)

9. mebezac

Also been meaning to ask. What is story behind your username?

10. Visin

Visin eMunie Web Developer Staff Member

I don't even know that. haha.

11. Fuserleer

Its a play on my last name through school, it stared as Fusey, Fuser, then Fuserleer stuck after some random event with an air rifle where I was referred to as a french fusilier lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusilier

12. mebezac

Wow, haha my name is just because my name is zac - mebezac

13. kr105

kr105 Dedicated Supporters

Good history, i hope to read it complete some day. What is your technical background on crypto stuff?

14. kr105

kr105 Dedicated Supporters

I always wanted to learn how to code basic games, but that triangles thing on opengl makes me crazy haha

15. Drypowder

Drypowder Beta Testers

Great, you remember me Great Commodore, Atari ST and Apple IIe times, I still have a working Amiga 3000UX and a 4000T. :eek:

16. Fuserleer

Oh man, I craved a 4000T when I was 15, though back then the £2000 for one was a bit out of my league lol envious! :)

17. Drypowder

Drypowder Beta Testers

I got mine when I was 16, I work for a year to pay the Computer lol; The computer was working for the last 20 years, ia a good piece of hardware. :)

18. Fuserleer

Kudos points to you for grafting hard to get it :)

I still have my 500, still works, Amiga's never die lol

19. mrvegas

mrvegas Where's The Beef?

My first was a TRS-80, i was about 15,16 and it cost me one month of my summer job pay. Man i loved that thing.

20. Fuserleer

I remember them too, Tandy right? I think that was my first computer I ever touched.