ETH catching BTC!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Fuserleer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

I must say I'm amazed at the fact that ETH as of right now is only about $8B behind BTC...even though I know whats driving it...I'm shocked.

There's a real chance if ETH continues as it is, within the next week we'll see a new #1

Honestly this saddens me quite a lot, ETH sure brought some new stuff to the table, but nowhere near enough IMO to be worthy of that #1

But then, Bitcoin has been very badly managed over the past 2 years. Endless infighting over scale, factions forming and fighting each other, massive miner centralization. All those things have helped to keep Bitcoin stagnant so that the likes of ETH *could* eat away at it's lead, a sad state of affairs indeed.

I very much hope that BTC can hold out because the current crop are not worthy of that top spot, but looking at things how there are right now, with more ETH pumps likely, I don't think it can.

Thoughts guys?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Founders Staff Member

Suggest releasing the Open Beta ASAP, even if some of the features are not there initially. This will open a lot of eyes and maybe make them hesitate before jumping in on White paper only ICO scam coins. Get the core modules with the economics working in the OB and then release the Kraken...

Collett likes this.
  3. Anima

Anima Founders Staff Member

Well, ETH has increased like 8x in 2 months. Its insane.

Either way, while it would have been nice to have "the first project to dethrone BTC" in the Radix resume, we are at current about 2 years behind ETH in terms of date of launch. There would be a lot of catching up to do.

I don't think it has much weight though. ETH being #1 just puts the target on their back and we know we have lots more to offer - it will be as impressive to put them in #2 after some months as #1.

4. julebreaker

julebreaker New Member

I always wondered why there are only about 50k-70k ethereum on Poloniex when there is a supply of 92.4 millions... then i heard of the supply locking when those tokens are created... no wonder the price rises like crazy. If i just knew it earlier :'D

I don't know if the market as of now would look for radix as a better alternative. The hype is just too big and it seems like nobody wants to see the restrictions/problems of ethereum. I see a chance if the "bubble" pops because a bug was found again or something similiar. Other way would be maybe precise and good marketing..

Just my 2 cents

5. Jazzer

Jazzer The Dutch connection Staff Member

It may take a while, but Eth is fundamentally not as good as what we have in many respects. So when they start running into those issues (which they inevitably will) team Radix will sail through without the slightest hickup.

I do believe we shouldn't wait much longer getting it out there though. This window is perfect as the issues with BTC are becoming clear and most people aren't committed to another platform yet. Good thing we're almost ready! :)

Marakanito, Cyg, Sharky and 3 others like this.
  6. ScheroedingersRat

ScheroedingersRat New Member

The main problem with ETH is that it lives only from the mass of totally overheated ETH token ICOs. Most of them only accept BTC and ETH so everyone who will take part has to buy in. After this the ETH are hold by the "ico company" at least for a while. So the price has no other chance as go up. Very clever business modell but at the end nothing very innovative.

How are your opinions about https://www.tezos.com/technology ? Looks like a direct competitor to the ETH Group.

regards

7. Peachy

Peachy Founders Staff Member

8. rotane

rotane Founders

Bitcoin and ETH Both have established a Brand. People know Bitcoin was the First and ETH is the ICO platform. A change in leadership Shows that people change their expectations. Crypto is Not only a coin but now even a business. But it will take years until the the business will mature Just like the Dotcom business. And then enter Radix. Radix proposes stability, scalability and usability. A Natural succession.:)

9. Sharky

Sharky Founders Staff Member

ETH will overtake BTC for sure. Holding onto the 1MB block limit has done Bitcoin irreparable damage. ETH is still based on a blockchain, so the world domination is still possible for us.

Lloyd, Cyg and trescuernos like this.
  10. Mario

Mario Beta Testers

Sharky knows it better than the many great bitcoin devs out there :D;)

11. dpc123

dpc123 New Member

Ethereum may take the #1 spot temporarily, but it isn't able to handle many more transactions or functions than bitcoin despite the hype. Soon the exuberance will die down. And eventually all of the ICO money rushing into ethereum will have to rush back out when these ICO projects need fund their development (or complete their swindle by cashing out)

My guess is ethereum will slowly drop to zero when something proves that it outperforms it. There is no vendor lock in ethereum yet and nothing interesting has been built on it yet, conceived maybe, but not built. Bitcoin may remain something like digital gold. Fairly useless except as a universal store of value that is independent of whatever currency is used for daily use.

Then something else will need to take over the worlds transactions. Someone should build that ;)

fyyt, Ryan.a85, Rickard and 2 others like this.
  12. Fuserleer

Fuserleer Radix Founder Staff Member

Yeah ETH has been having problems as of late with scale. That seems to have put the brakes on its momentous charge for the time being.

13. Rickard

Rickard Beta Testers

Interview: Vitalik Buterin on Scaling Ethereum, Its Popularity in Asia and ICOs:
    https://bitcoinmagazine.com/article...y-asia-and-icos/?_ke=cmljazY5MDdAZ21haWwuY29t

"Ethereum is being actively developed by educational institutions such as universities and government agencies including the Chinese Royal Mint. Recently, the People’s Bank of China stated that Ethereum is heading in the right direction, validating the network and project. As Bitcoin Magazine’s China-based journalist Bradley Fink previously reported, some of the largest companies in China, including Alipay and Peking University, are actively investing in the potential of the Ethereum protocol."